Saturday, November 14, 2009

Reb Tevye, Stop Singing in My Head!

The topic at Weight Watchers this week was tradition. As we head into the treacherous holiday season, I am thinking about the land mines that must be navigated. Many things will conspire to knock me off my path in the coming six weeks. The obvious one is the quantities of food that will be in my environment from Thanksgiving through Christmas. Less obvious are the expectations of how much time must be spent with the family and the ways in which we interact. I am pondering which traditions nurture me and which traditions harm me. And once the traditions are labeled and sorted into their columns of helpful and not-so-much, then I must decide which battles do I actually want to fight?

"Traditions are the guideposts driven deep in our subconscious minds. The most powerful ones are those we can't even describe and aren't even aware of." --Ellen Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment