Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Suck

We recently discovered that my daughter Molly is gluten intolerant. She's not full-on allergic, but her body can't digest it, and she gets terrible belly aches. The good news is that my house was already gluten-free. We just had to convince her dad that this was real and get him on board. She's been a real trooper about changing what she eats. She's had a few chances to cheat, and I've said, "You can eat a little of it if you're willing to deal with the belly ache later." Every single time she has said, "No. It's not worth it."

Now we are at the Disneyland Resort for the week. My mother has generously brought myself and my two kids down here for a crazy, fun and food-filled vacation. Molly has been AWESOME. We went to the breakfast buffet at the hotel; she ate clean. We went to lunch inside Disneyland; she ate clean. We went to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner; she ate clean. That includes some bread-free treats as well. The kids is just on top of it.

Meanwhile, I made a pact that I would eat gluten-free this week in solidarity. "If Molly can't eat it, I won't eat it." That lasted a whole... zero days. At the breakfast buffet, I snuck some banana nut bread while she wasn't looking. For lunch, breaded fish and chips. For dinner...a variety plate of gluten. Oh and my son got some donut holes, and I snuck a few of those as well.

My ten-year-old daughter is showing me how it's done, and still I choose to fail. I suck.

1 comment:

  1. But your daughter doesn't suck! Just need to concentrate on some of that reverse inheritance and you won't suck either.

    ReplyDelete